Thursday 5 June 2008

Wean or Lose?

When I moved to Saudi and became a full time stay at home mom and found out I was pregnant with my fourth child, I told myself that I would try my very best to fully breastfeed this one. I mean, I didnt have to go to work, I'd be with the baby 24 by 7, it was the best situation and opportunity to do it.
Even though Izani was fed with both breastmilk and formula the first few months (the bottle was a back-up plan, "just in case"), in the end I managed to fully breastfeed him. Somehow one day he decided that he didnt want anything from the bottle. Whenever I tried to give him the bottle, he'd take a lick of the latex nipple and he'd make a face and push it out with his tongue. After a few days, I gave up trying and packed the bottles in the sterilizer and put it away in one corner of the storeroom.
It felt like quite an achievement to be able to fully breastfeed Izani. It was definitely convenient. I finally had extra space in my handbag. I never needed to mix formula. When he needed milk, all I needed to do was lift up my shirt and there would be milk! (Wearing long flowy headscarves also helped me to be discreet). I could feed him anytime, anywhere. Sometimes even in the weirdest and unexpected places - I fed him while we were hanging high on the Eye on Malaysia, while watching sulphuric gases billow up from the sleeping volcanic pits of Tangkuban Perahu, in front of the Ka'abah, in the middle of the desert, in the middle of magical iris fields in the middle of the desert, on the second floor of the double decker bus touring Florence, in the Roman Colloseum, in Vatican City, deep in the jungles of Taman Negara, near the Sphinx and Pyramids... sometimes I feel I really spoil him. Since he also needs to nurse to sleep, and just nursing him while *I* sleep is easier, he also ends up sleeping with me.
When he turned 18 months, I started planning to wean him. Not because I was tired of breastfeeding him, but because we were planning to go to Hajj, and I can't bear thinking of leaving him behind if he still needs me (or rather, my mammary glands) and I think it would be risky to bring a small child to such a crowded place. I asked around for tips on how to start weaning. I received a lot of advice. Some funny ones, like putting red stuff on your blinkers and prentending they were bleeding to put him off. I didn't dare try that one.
Even with all the advice though, somehow I was reluctant to start weaning. I mean, I enjoyed the closeness, the feeling of being needed. I was a little worried. Will I lose that when I wean him? Will I miss him nuzzling under my armpit in the middle of the night? Will he resent me for no longer feeding him from my own body? Will we be this close ever again?

One day I got a visit from Ruby, who told me how she weaned off her son.

She used the cold turkey method.
Her son usually takes milk from the bottle during the day, so her only obstacle was weaning him off at night. Her husband took a few days off from work, and for several nights in a row, he and son slept together, away from the mother. Of course her son cried, asking for milk to comfort him to sleep, but eventually her son found another way to get to sleep and now he is totally weaned off. Ruby assured me that the child will not feel resentment towards the mom and that they both can build the closeness in other ways.

Motivated by this, I decided to start.
I decided to start with reintroducing the bottle to Izani. I took out all the bottles from storage, cleaned them and bought a small can of formula (oh my god.. I didnt realize how expensive they have become!). I started with only 30mls of milk and had it available around the house and tried to coax izani to drink it. I told him how yummy it was, and how fun sucking from a latex teat was.
It did not work!
He took a suck, made a face, threw the bottle aside and headed for my boobs. I wasted bottles and bottles of milk that would just end up going sour.
Then I decided to make him go to sleep on his own. My husband can't take off from work, so I decided to try over the weekend. It was horrible! He cried and cried and cried for me. He'd tug at my nightshirt trying to get to the source of comfort that he knew was under it. He'd plead "peas? peas? peas?" (please), which just breaks my heart. He'd scream and protest. When I try to give him the bottle, he'd scream "NO!" and throw it across the room. At one point he would fall asleep exhausted from crying, but only to wake up about an hour later, again crying and begging and then screaming for milk. I'd have to get out of bed and rock him to sleep in the living room, where he would sleep for like 5 minutes then wake up again asking for milk. Sleep deprived, I gave in, and the whole house could sleep peacefully again.
I almost gave up, but I didn't.
I continued with trying to get him to drink milk from the bottle. After several weeks of seeing it lying around, he finally got used to it, and one day decided to try it. The first night he finished 90ml of milk before bed, we whooped and cheered and congratulated him. We also found a nifty trick to make him want his milk. We made as if we were going to give it to his bigger sister Anis (who would act all excited to get milk in a bottle), he'd get jealous and all possesive and would insist on the bottle. tee hee.
Now the hard part is to not to breastfeed him.
Since I was always around, it was really difficult for him to ignore the lure of the breastmilk. He knows it's there. He knows he can get it. So i decided to just say no and stay firm. I knew that if I give in, all my efforts would go to waste.
You did not want to be in my house the first few days when I did this. There was a lot of screaming and crying. If my neighbours heard Izani, they would've have thought that he was in pain or something. He begged and plead for milk and I would say No, and try to give him his bottle. He would say no and the pleas would escalate to screams. I would say No and try to give him his bottle again. He would say No, grab the bottle, throw it across the room, then go after it and kick it, just to show how much he detested the thing. He would then scream and tug at my shirt. I would stand my ground and say No, and he would get really angry and start hitting me or banging his head into my side. I kept my cool by going to a happy place in my head and to not get angry at him. I just sat quietly with my arms across my chest, sitting in a foetal position so that he cant reach what he wants. After a while he'd calm down and I could distract him with other stuff, a favourite movie, some cereal, or rice and chicken.
Then came night time. I made sure he finished his dinner, chasing him around the dining room AND the living room to feed him, if that's what it takes. I made sure there was a bottle of milk always ready for him to drink before bed. In the afternoon I made him go out to play with his big brothers, so I knew he would at least be tired, if not full. Just like during the day, there was a lot of crying and begging and screaming and I did the same thing. I turned my back and literally ignored him. I felt so bad about having to do that, but I knew it had to be done. It turned out that it was so difficult afterall. Perhaps it was becuase he was full, or perhaps it was because he was tired, he didnt throw a tantrum for long before he fell asleep on his own.
This went on for a few days, and finally he started to get the picture. No more suckling with me. He started to drink more from the bottle. He'd get very clingy, always whining to be picked up and held, but I take this as a transition phase. Some nights he'd wake up in the middle of the night, crying and reaching for me, but I'd just hug him and pat him back to sleep. These past few nights he has started sleeping through the night, Alhamdulillah. Sometimes he forgets and comes sit in my lap, touch my chest and ask "susu?" looking up at me with his doe eyes and a pleading smile on his lips, but I would smile back and say "No.. Izani big boy now" and distract him with something else and he'd be okay.

Have I lost the closeness?
I dont think so. He's become more affectionate with me now. Climbing on my back and hugging me. Holding my face with both of his tiny hands and voluntarily kissing me. He has even learnt to say "I Love You". (Which is *so* cute.. i really should take a video of it one of these days).
Weaning isn't so bad after all :)

Would you like to share your experience?

12 comments:

Tulisje said...

Aliff has been off the boobs since April. We did it cold turkey, with me sleeping in another room and Nizam dealing with his night-time wakes. He didn't have to take any days off work. I only slept away for four nights (but what heavenly four nights!). We thought he'd be angrier and more resentful at being denied the boobs, but he was actually quite good about it. During the day, I just rock and hold him to sleep. If he reaches for my shirt I just say "No no no" and he smiles a cheeky smile and goes on with something else. I also think taking him out during the day, having him nap in the car and making him very very tired helped with the transition.

The only thing that was hard was having his stomach adjust to not getting anything during the night. For one week, he'd wake up at 3 am or so asking for Milo (he doesn't drink milk, Milo is the only way he'll take milk, so our Milo is 95% milk, 5% water, no sugar) and then demands to watch TV until he goes back to sleep. Nizam stayed up with him and I get to sleep. We let him get his way for a couple of days, but soon Nizam became too tired and we just let him cry it out. By the end of the week, he slept through the night.

Sometimes he wakes up, his hands groping for my boobs but I just gently tell him no and hold his hands, or pat his back and he goes back to sleep.

Running around in the evening and a full dinner helps ensure he sleeps well at night. He sleeps at 9.30 - 10 pm, which is very late for AMerican standards but he doesn't wake up at night anymore and is up at 7/8 am, bugging his dad for Milo.

elisataufik said...

hey hey your computer is fixed!!
Good to know that you're reading even though not writing :)

I am ashamed to admit that sometimes I add a little "Choco", what izani calls the hershey's chocolate syrup, into his milk.. :P
Just a smidgen though.

Swahili said...

Ooooh so interesting! Sadly Ive no comments from my own since I dont breastfeed.

Funnily though we had this conversation, a week ago as 3ladies in my group is 3mths aprt (pregnancy). Suggestion varies from sticking through it till the baby/toddler/preschooler stops on their own, gradual weaning of taking one feed lesser each week/day, keeping baby occupied and giving more attention in exchange for weaning.

Elisa - I can imagine Izani sad face. *aunty weep for izani*

so now that you are on bottle, how do you wean him off that! share your tips.

Gartblue said...

YAY!!

Good on you sis!

Though, we're still AT it at this end of the world. I know I
ve talked about weaning Ariz off countless times before. After all, he IS 3 years and 4 months old! Way way way too old to nurse.

But we're not having any more of this clingy, yuou-are-my-wlrld babies and it's hard to let that go. I guess Lollies was right, it's the mother who needs to wean herself first before cold-turkey-ing the kid. *shudder*

Thanks for sharing though, I needed the comfort of knowing
that even without the nursing, he'll still think I'm his world.

He he!!

elisataufik said...

Swahili - if you wait for the baby to stop on their own, they wont stop until it gets embarassing (for them, not you) !. And that can vary from 4 yrs old to maybe 12!
Ilham was on the bottle for the longest. He only stopped when he was in Standard 1, when my mom teased him for needing the bottle when he came home from school. Ihsan and Anis somehow stopped when we moved here (he was 6, she 4). They all switched to drinking the milk from the carton.
I dont mind them drinking from the bottle as long as they dont do it while they are sleeping (bad for the teeth) and they dont expect me to bring bottles in my handbag (drink at home only).

Gart - rest assured, He'll always think you're the world, whether or not you breastfeed him. My other kids (who I didnt bfeed as long as Izani) still think the world of me ;)

RH said...

Congrats! I can imagine how hard it was to say no to him. I only managed to wean Husna my eldest when she was 3. My second Arif weaned when he was one year old.

But sadly, even though I breast-fed Aimi fully for the first 7 months almost, my milk simply depleted. When we came back to Malaysia and I introduced formula to her, she loved it so much. Now, she is 100% on formula even though she's only 9 months.

I think it was probably because she was premature and slept a lot in the beginning, so I didn't produce much milk.
I was sad at first but now have come to term with it.

elisataufik said...

Kak Eda,
I think all children are different. What's important is that we try our best to give them the nutrition they need, in whatever way we can. I'm sure Aimi will grow up to be as healthy and bright as Husna and Arif.

Swahili said...

Hello Rohaida.
I was contemplating on writting this bit of info, decided not to but now I will.

Harris was born at 8mths, even before his birth I was lactating.I could have rival a cow! He nurse immediately (10mins after birth)

I was pressured to use the "jamu" & everything sewaktu dengannye.Put it off for two weeks, and the moment I did - he refused to nurse. must be the combi of smell+ taste : i was devastated!

At work, we had a nursing room - which I introduced for lactating working mums. With in build storage area, soothing music and the ability to bring your kid on weekend. I never get to use it.

So there, cheer up :-> I wish I could have shared those moments of nursing.

elisataufik said...

swahili - you could've rivaled a cow?? ha ha .. can't imagine :)

elisataufik said...

From Lily of ummikusayang.com:

Salam,

Just sharing my experience weaning... I tried using the method of talking to them when they were sleeping a few months before their weaning age (2 yrs).

Example, with Hanees, I weaned her around 1.5 yrs because I was
pregnant with Harraz by then. So, what I did was as soon as she was sleeping, I talked to her and said something like "Nanti Hanees kena stop nenen sebab ada baby. Hanees jadi kakak, so kakak kena minum susu dalam cup..." I did this like two months before my target weaning
date.
Alhamdulillah, it worked! I didn't have much problem weaning her.

At the same time, during the day, you casually talk to her about
the process of her being a big girl and how she can drink from a cup and at night just have a cup of milk or water before sleeping. Getting her to sleep with the dad also helps but make it a pleasant experience, like have the dad do story telling or a new routine
that is different from the normal routine with you (i.e comfort sucking before sleep).

Kids above 2 yrs usually breastfeed for comfort, especially at night.

So, if you want to wean you need to give them another avenue to achieve that comfort - either storytelling, a cuddly toy, etc. But let them know that this transition is because they are now big boys and girls. It is not because you love them less, but because you
are proud that they have now grown up to be a kakak or abang.

With Harraz, i also did the same thing, i.e talk to him when he is sleeping and I specifically mentioned that his second birthday is coming soon, and by 2 yrs old, cannot nenen any more. At the same time, we started to have new routine of storytelling with daddy
before sleeping. He would sometimes wake up at night and want to suckle
but I would just pat him back to sleep. Alhamdulillah, by his 2nd birthday, he was weaned!

Try it. I did it every night for about two months. Tell them also
that you are proud of them for being a big boy/girl and that nenen is
for small kids, so they need to stop and drink like big kids from
certain date. Insya Allah, somehow it will reach into their subconscious
mind and it will be an easier process for both of you :-).

Lily

Unknown said...

Hi...just came across this discussion...and feel like commenting...

I have 2 boys : Arief is 6 and Aqiel jez turned 2 last january. I breastfed them both. I weaned Arief when he was 18 months old and Aqiel when he turned 2. Long story there coz i never gave them any formula at all.

Anyway...my point of writing is to share with u moms how much i miss having them nurse. I miss d physical closeness...that unexplainable calm n wonderful feeling that u get while u nurse. God I miss it so much!!! I guess only another nursing mother can understand what i'm trying to say.

To make matters worse...we don't plan to have anymore kids. 2 is enough for us. So I guess i'll never get to nurse ever again. The smell of their baby hair...their chubby lil hands...their sweaty toes....aaahhhh...perfume to my nose :)

SabrinaWM said...

Alif weaned off when he was 2++ years. He's 4 now and still look at his used to be susu affectionately and sometimes, like to touch them. So how?

Ahmad weaned off bottle when he was 8++! (standard 3) -- actually, just recently..I guess this relates as well as he was the worst to wean off breastmilk - took me about 6 months to get him off - it was on and off, more because mummy tak sampai hati (do not have the heart) and daddy cannot bear with all the whinings and screamings...