Monday 11 February 2008

How to Handle Picky Eaters?

Rotidua's post about her picky eaters inspired me to write this.
I think Rotidua is not alone in her dillema, right?
Come on, don't be shy, spill the beans... !
Okay let me start with mine:

Ilham - he's 10 and he is starting to explore new foods. He is beginning to eat vegetables, but only lettuce and cucumber. He likes curries, and fried fish or chicken, but most of the time it's just that with rice, no vegetables at all. Loves eggs cooked any way, but especially sunny side up with the yolk slightly runny so that he can form a 'lava flow' on his volcanic mound of rice.

Ihsan - is going to be 9 in october and he eats plain white rice, with NOTHING. Not even soy sauce. Sometimes he'd take fried fish. What he likes most is crabs, but I can't afford to have that every day. Would not touch a vegetable with a ten-foot pole. Loves eggs cooked any way but sunny side up.

Anis - is 6 in March and is more adventurous, but again, no veggies. If I make fried rice or meehon with shredded or tiny pieces of vegetables in them, she would painstakingly pick them out and put it aside. She complains about eating rice everyday, but she loves masak lemak (Coconut milk gravy) and crispy fried chicken (especially the skin). Also loves eggs cooked any way but sunny side up.

Izani - is 2 in April. He is my star vegetable eater. He loves the crunchy carrots and cucumber. Likes to try anything or everything, but if he doesnt like it, he just spits it out anywhere, anytime he likes. Does not like fried eggs, but does not mind omelletes or scrambled eggs. Izani is very difficult to feed though. If I try to feed him, he'd say he wants to eat on his own, but when I leave him to eat on his own, he plays with his food (he's 2, whatdya expect?).



If I let my kids have their way, they would choose to eat cake, fries and candy all day.

What I've learned so far with my kids are these ...



Lead by example
If they see you enjoying various types of food, they will eventually (hopefully) will want to try them too. Try to make a show of how yummy certain foods are. If you're shy, you can even restrict passionate gastronomic responses to the privacy of your own home. But you'll soon see that your kids will start to like foods that they see you like.
This 'education' can start as early as while they're still in your tummy! I found that because I ate a lot of salads when I was pregnant with Izani, he was not averse to eating vegetables.
Unfortunately, kids pick up your bad habits too. Like my need to eat everything with something crunchy, be it keropok or twisties.

Introduce new foods gradually
Taste is acquired, so if you want to introduce something new, do it bit by bit, gradually. Have them try it at first, then when they have acquired the taste, you can increase the frequency of that dish, or introduce the ingredients into other dishes. This works with spices as well.

Find out what they like
This is probably the first thing that your mother (or other mothers) would ask your children when they're not eating: "What do you like?". It usually ticks me off when people go out of their way to prepare something my kids like when I am trying to teach them not to be so picky, but I have found that the information I gather here could be useful. How? *points to the next item*

Hide the veggies!
My kids like cucur udang (prawn fritters). So instead of making plain cucur udang, I shred carrots, sweet potatoes, scallions, parsley, etc etc into them. Another good way to hide veggies is inside tomato sauce (for pasta) or cheese (but some kids dont really like cheese) (Not my kids!). Or you can go the extra mile and do what Jerry Se1nfeld's wife did - puree her veggies and put them into brownies and cookies. (Get more ideas here - http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com). I can easily see her ideas modified into some kind of cucur, or masala vade, or kuih talam.

Explain nutrition
I usually would ask them what they would like to eat, but I'd usually veto some of their choices and I would tell them why. "Candy gives you cavities", "Chips are not healthy food", "You need vegetables to make you smart", etc etc. I am hoping that by telling them why, I could at least education them on what is healthy and what is not, and this would guide them on what foods to eat when I am not around to choose it for them.

Keep treats as really special treats
Don't make junk food as part of their diet. Don't put chips or candy in their lunchbox. Make it a once in a while thing, so that they don't develop the habit of eating it all the time and confusing them with regular food. Make sure they know the difference, by saving it as a treat. Make sure they know it's a special treat, and you cannot eat it ALL the time.

I can't say that all of the above are sure fire tips. But I do try and have had a few small successes. I think good eating habits is a learning process, and all we can do as parents is try to teach them and expose them as much as we can.
I remembr when I was younger that I hated vegetables too, but as I grew up, i developed a taste for them and can't have a meal without them (but then again that may be due to age.. can you say 'constipation'?)

Would love to hear your stories on this topic!

9 comments:

famyGirl said...

*waves* HI!!!!

I need advice on ways to introduce 'normal' food into Sofea's diet. Accept for soups and kicap-based, or tomato-based or cheese-based cooking, everything else is pedas to her. She still refuses curry, whatmore sambal, even a hint of pepper can make her lose her appetite.

I have run out of ideas on what to cook for the family, sebab if too spicy nanti budak2 (esp Sofea) cannot eat. If too budak2-tastes then the husband boring lak.

Eh, panjang lak comment. hee hee.

elisataufik said...

*waves back* Hi!!! welcome, welcome!! *hugs*

You can try start by introducing it a little bit at a time, perhaps with a creamy sauce on something she really likes , perhaps in mac n cheese or even on fries.
Milk actually reduces the bite of the 'spicyness' (eh camner nak eja nih?) of things.

I tend to end up cooking for the kids more than to the adults, so most of my dishes are 'spice-reduced'. I make sambal or sliced chillies on the side for the adults though, tapi my husband can't take overly-spicy food either so we dont really miss it.

Maybe lollies can help, coz she loves spicy food.

Swahili said...

FG.
Tak panjang.Ive not fed Harris (3+) curry/sambal but I can see the longin in his eyes when he sees them. Im leaving it to him to venture since im sure he will - norhan and myself CANT live w/o chilli.

Try progression.Different soups base (potato,mushroom,beef), then mee-hoon soup, nasi goreng, small slices of beef add garlic sikit. if she likes it you can do meat balls with pasta.

Read more from my entry..Good luck.

Unknown said...

:-) dropped by to congrats the three MOMMies for putting up this blog - as a mommy united.
banyak topik tu nanti....
jika perlukan perspective bapak, i am just a shout away.hehehehe

idham

Lollies said...

Ehem. I am not much of a help actually. I actually make two set of dishes. nasi goreng ada dua, mee goreng ada dua. pedas dan tak pedas.

But now it has reduce. Pasal I dah malas pun ya. Haziq can start eating curry in fact he is loving it. Tapi i letak kuah sikit ajele. And dulu I wash the chicken or meat. as in I rinse off the curry bit. But slowly letak sikit2 kuah. Eventually dah ok pulak dia. Still berair matalah somehow.

Even now some dish i don't put fresh chiilies sebab kesiankan budak.

And Jack, he loves sambal. I think because dia tengok kita enjoy the food so much kot.

elisataufik said...

Idham,

bapak-bapak's perspectives are always welcomed!!

Swahili said...

Idham.
throw us your views.refreshing input yours will be..

look forward to seeing you around.

MDR said...

Hello Kak Elisa, Lollies & Swahili..what a wonderful idea and what a great blog!

This is a novel idea..will be frequenting this space a lot more and crowding up your comment boxes..boleh ke?

About picky eaters, my daughter Aqila is going through this phase where she won't eat protein. She'll eat a whole bowl of rice with soup, or even porridge..but it has to be PLAIN..because any chicken or fish texture will be spit out in a second!

I've managed to sneak in veggies by chopping them real thin so she eats that, but when it comes to protein, she just won't :-(

I've tried blending protein into her food but still, whenever there's a chickeny or fishy taste/texture, she'll spit it out.

Any advice from u mommies? Btw, she's a bit underweight, weighing in at 10kg on the dot, at 20 months old, how la to fatten her up if she won't take protein?

Swahili said...

Welcome MDR.

Harris use to be that way too, makan rice and soup je (as told in my Once Upon A Time entry)..
I processed (puree the vegs/meat/chicken/prawns) then add into the rice+soup. Small quantity first, more rice then gradual.I give less soup than decrease it by putting in another bowl - so he dnt alwys want soup.

Eventually I make some stories about kicap, suap pakai tangan. suka ter-amat..slowly he takes in the rest. Try Elisa way of the suap with sound effects..

Harris isnt on the fat side, he started up fat then just turn real lanky (he abot that same weight at Aqila age). Beside if Aqila is agile, smiley and burst of health -its fine.Thats what Harris paedi drill in my head...

Im sure the other two more experienced mums will have more to add.