Monday 11 February 2008

Eat Eat Eat

I don't think I have the right to write a post here in any way. Alhamdullilah my kids are not picky eater. Except for Jack, who is three. He doesn't take as much raw veges as his older siblings. But he slowly taking in perhaps a bit of raw carrots.

And because of this "relatively" easier eating session, I don't remember much of how they eat. Maybe some pointers though...



Play

When they can sit up right and take solid food, I let them eat by themselves. However I am still the main feeder. He has his own bowl filled with veges mostly. I let him suck the carrots and broccolis. I think this is perhaps the main reason that they are very receptive to the greens (or orange?).

At one time, my daughter, Sya, only want to eat the spinach (slightly blanched with onion and garlic), I had to hide them. And leave it as a treat.

I also allow them to spoon themselves their own porridge. Yes it is a total mess. And I am worn out. Working and no maid. Eating can be a chore in certain sense. But I find it fun, because eating is also bonding time for us.

Mess

So they make mess when they were little and just learning. A whole blob of them. To minimise the agony, I got myself a medium-sized linoleum and place it under their high chair. And Alhamdullilah, most of the time the stain doesn't get beyond the linoleum. The only thing I have to clean then is the linoleum and not the floor. Thus the battle is controlled.

OK sometimes they protest

Then I compromise and say only 10 suaps and you can be done with it. Then they would negotiate and we would come down to perhaps five suaps.

They love what they cook

Sya loves helping me in the kitchen and Haziq loves to ambush so that he can steal things. Even Jack cooks. I allow him to sprinkle salt and sugar. Put onions and garlics and even occasional cooking.

But you know what, I just remembered, most of the time I suap my kids even though they have their own plate. I enjoy doing that and they eat a lot when I do. I guess I am spoiling them too much. I think I stopped suaping Haziq when he is seven. I am breeding spoonfed kids, oh no.

But now, dinner is such a pleasure. Everyone can sit down and eat together and now only Jack makes the most mess. :D

7 comments:

Swahili said...

Lollies.
In the act of disclosing, I do enjoy makan suap.My arwah grandma use to do that each time Im home from school. Even if nasi with kuah, its the best thing and something i look forward to everyday after school.

*smile*

Lollies said...

i do too. I remembered occassionally even when I waas in form 5, i was still suaped by my mum. Not day to day basis, but waktu nak manja.

My kids enjoy suap session tremendously.

elisataufik said...

Isnt there an old belief about makan suap - that you will inherit the traits of the person who feeds you with his/her hands?
To me, Feed = Love :)

I would also like to add to your tips here that sometimes you have to be creative when spoon/hand feeding your little kids.
Izani currently has this fad of eating only with transport noises. I have to pretend I'm either a bus waiting to park ("vrooom vrooom"), or a plane waiting to land (plane noises), train heading for a tunnel ("chooo choo" ending with a long "toot toooot") or a boat waiting to dock ("budub budub" and a long "poooot" in the end).
Tiring, but beats screaming at him to finish his food! :D

elisataufik said...

oh, and p/s:
hello, you're a mommy! ALL mommies have a right to post here!

Nusayba said...

lolls, even now, i occasionally have my mum suap me one or two suap bila time nak manja. haha.

you guys are doing good with this. thank you (even though im no mummy, or wifey for that matter. heheh)

Lollies said...

ho ho ho maksud I tak ada right to post is becasu my kids are nppt really picky so tips macam tak sesuai aje dengan topik entry i ni.

eh now i remebered haziq doesn't like eating prawn. i have no idea why. dia kata tekak dia gatal

kina said...

Hi mommies!

I think this is cool, a place to share our thots, dreams, screams and stuff!

I am definitely tagging you guys!